The day right after Halloween my FaceBook feed exploded with Christmas countdowns, images of minions with Santa hats, and pictures of decorated Christmas trees in the homes of my online friends, but Christmas is still six weeks away. We still celebrate a major holiday before then. No, if you are thinking of black Friday, that is not it. Thanksgiving, that overlooked middle child of holidays is one of my favorite holidays. I love that our entire country (retailers not included) takes one day to celebrate gratitude. With social media, many people express gratitude publicly every day in November. As I am writing this, I am watching the news about the shootings and explosions in Paris. Our world is overwhelmingly violent and, at times, seems almost hopeless, but if I find things to be thankful for, I have restored hope. I am grateful for many, many things and to put them in a list seems to limit my gratefulness, but here are a few things I am grateful for:
Shannon’s Thankful Top Ten:
8. Thankful that I am employed.
7. Thankful my husband is employed.
6. Thankful my husband is an excellent provider.
5. For a nice, comfortable home.
3. For having all of my needs met.
2. For Fred Rogers and the kindness he exhibited through the media, and for providing these words of comfort:
“When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, “Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.” To this day, especially in times of “disaster,” I remember my mother’s words and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers – so many caring people in this world.”
- This verse: Jeremiah 17:7 – Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord and whose hope is in the Lord.